Wine at Rickety Bridge
With a history going back to 1797, the estate and its legacy have been passed on to its current owner Duncan Spence who has been ownership of the estate since 2000.
The Wine Tasting Centre is adjacent to the wine cellar, offering a glimpse into the inner workings of a working winery. It is housed on an elevated platform with a three-sided full-height glazed façade, offering views of the vineyards and majestic Franschhoek mountains. The tasting centre virtually spills over, through glass walls, into the maturation cellar on the one side and onto floating terraces on the other side.
This historic estate was originally part of the great La Provence farm given to French Huguenot farmers in 1694. Over the years the property was divided and the portion which is now Rickety Bridge was granted to Paulina De Villiers, one of the first female landowners in South Africa, in 1797.